Photography by Ben Dearnley
Espresso cherry trifle
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons marsala (see note)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/2 cup strong espresso coffee, cooled slightly
- 4 mini jam sponge rolls, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 50g good-quality dark chocolate, grated
- 1/2 cup thick vanilla custard
- 425g can black pitted
- cherries, drained
- Combine marsala, sugar and coffee in a jug. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Divide the sponge slices between four 400ml-capacity whisky glasses. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the coffee mixture. Drizzle remaining coffee mixture over the sponge slices.
- Top with half the chocolate, and all the custard and cherries. Drizzle with the reserved coffee mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate and serve.
Notes & tips
- Marsala is a fortified Italian wine available from liquor stores. You could use dry sherry, Tia Maria liqueur, Kahlua liqueur or brandy instead.
SourceSuper Food Ideas - September 2007 , Page 79
Recipe by Annette Forrest